The Aquarium of Madeira was installed in a replica of a fort invoking St. John the Baptist. The original fort was built in 1730 in response to attacks and attacks by pirates on the town of Porto Moniz. The ruins of the fort were acquired by the Municipality of Porto Moniz in 1998, which restored its original appearance, based on the existing iconography.
Inaugurated on September 4, 2005 with the aim of preserving and making known to the visitor the marine biodiversity of the seas of the Madeira Archipelago, in Madeira Aquarium there are more than 90 native species, distributed in 12 exhibition tanks.
The captive living beings in this Aquarium rely on the waters of the Madeira Archipelago in the geographical areas of its distribution. But most of the species can also be found on the other islands of Macaronesia, such as the Azores, the Canaries and Cape Verde. Some of the species that occur in the Madeira seas can also be found in the Mediterranean and, to a lesser extent, in the Eastern Atlantic.